Friday, February 02, 2007

What's All the Fuss?

I may risk becoming the testy political poster, but I have noticed there has been a lot of Jim Webb bashing on this blog lately, and I don't understand why. I might be a bit defensive of him because I lived minutes from Virginia during the race and followed it quite closely. That said, it was an amazing race, and though George Allen dug his own grave in many respects (because he's CRAZY), he was quite popular in his state and Webb was not supposed to win. I believe it was the narrowest senatorial win in 2006, and without Webb the Dems would not have the majority. I realize Webb's views may not synch with the views of many on this blog, but I think it's wrongheaded to compare every politician to one's ideal candidate; rather, we have to look for the people who are doing the best job for their time and place, and for Virginia in this election, Webb was that man. Maybe posters object to the way Webb is being thrust into the limelight by congressional leaders, but they're not picking him to represent their broad social agenda; rather, they think he can strongly deliver their message on Iraq, and I think they may be right.

4 comments:

Betty and Bimbo said...

While I don't feel qualified to speak about Virginia, I must reiterate that Webb's SOTU rebuttal was one of the most eloquent,direct, and stirring pieces of rhetoric Betty and Bimbo have heard, perhaps in our lifetimes. And Lord knows it came at a critically important juncture. I think he's the real deal.

We watched the SOTU and follow-up on CNN, where they brusquely moved on from Webb's powerful anti-war, pro-social progeams address. But a minute later, Bimbo's mom called us to say that over at PBS Jim Leher and David Brooks were saying "A star is born" and calling web a fine presidential candidate in the making. While again I do not feel qualified to speak about that, I do think he is the ideal voice of morality and reason for the Dems at this moment.

JDA said...

He said he would have voted for Thatcher if he could have....He also once said that women didn't belong in the Navy. I'm not sure this is the sort of "star" that the party needs...or maybe we just need a different party.

Betty and Bimbo said...

Oh, we DEFINITELY need a new political party, Obamarama. The best we can say about the Dems at this point is that they're "presiders" of the 90s kind of multilateral corporate rule, which is at least better thatn unilateral cowboy rule.

Unfotunately, unilateral cowboy rule is what we're dealing with now, and we're in deep shit. So bring on Webb!

Anonymous said...

the probles is that if Webb is our great hope we are in deep doo-doo......yes he's god on Irak, but I think that's about it. but beggars can't be choosers, we got Webb and we got Johnson still in intensive care- so go Webb!