Tuesday, March 13, 2007

So I was (a bit) wrong



About a week ago, Magwitch--irate and cynical as usual--predicted on this very blog that Ann Coulter would be rewarded for her bigoted remarks at CPAC. At first, it looks like my prediction was all to right, as cable news networks gleefully invited Coulter onto center stage. Now, however, it looks like 9 newspapers are dropping Coulter's column. Media Matters is sort of taking credit for this, but whether or not they are responsible, it's heartening to see newspapers take some responsibility for what they publish. This is why it's always good to assume the worst; then, even a minor victory can brighten your day.

By the way, I would like to say how much I agree with fellow bloggers who responded to my recent posts on Coulter by pointing out how ridiculous it is that we give this witch so much attention. I think that that's exactly right (Jack Shafer of Slate wrote a really good piece that touch on this), which is why I think that the best way to deal with Coulter is not to rant and rave, but to encourage news outlets to marganalize her. In order to make that happen, however, we've got to rant a rave a bit first--and we have to do so in a way that does make money for the very media outlets we want to influence! Enter: the blog!

No comments: