Friday, March 23, 2007

In the words of Wu-Tang, "Reunited (double LP, we're all excited)"

According to CNN, Kate Winslet and Leo are reuniting to co-star in a film based on Richard Yates' Revolutionary Road, an excellent novel introduced to me by none other than Koko the Clown. The film will be directed by Sam Mendes, the director of "American Beauty," who seems to have a penchant for dramas on surburbia. A far more impressive fact about Mendes is that, according to the fine people at IMDB, he is currently completing a documentary on Rufus Wainwright, which (and I quote) "follw[s] the singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright's re-creation of Judy Garland's 1961 Carnegie Hall performance."

There's a lot of exciting stuff happening in the film world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sam mendes also seems to have a penchant for his wife, kate winslet.

all i can say is, this movie better be more substantial than winslet's last suburban affair, "little children", which put me right to sleep.

Koko the Clown said...

I disagree on Little Children, thought it was excellent.

Mendes' penchant for casting his wife is far more forgivable than, say, that of David Mamet, whose wife Rebecca Pidgeon manages to worsen the quality of every one of his movies.

Hey, by the way, Magwitch, can I borrow the Yates book? I haven't actually read it...

Nancy D., Girl Detective said...

Oh my god--I love Rebecca Pidgeon! I can't believe you said that. I am shocked. She is wonderful.

JDA said...

Patri (guessing that is you because no one else really posts anonymously, and I know you often doze off during movies you do not enjoy), sorry you didnt like Little Children, I thought it was a nice insight into the chaos that emerged in suburbia. The fact that a film like Little Children got less recognition than one with "The Fresh Prince" is somewhat troubling (especially because Tommy Lee Jones wasn't holding up a cool memory-eraser thing). I thought Kate W. was very good and to mention her in the same breath as Pidgeon is a discredit to Winslet. When was the last time she was on a tv show where the plot line is: "Hour long show which looks at the life of American super-secret operators"? This show is Pidgeon's Carnegie Hall!

http://imdb.com/name/nm0682071/

Nancy D., Girl Detective said...

I can't imagine Mamet without Rebecca Pidgeon. I think she adds a wonderful flavor to his work.