Today ABC News reported the toxic chemical that has caused the deaths of more than 800 domestic animals in the United States: it's rat poison. The chemical is a rodenticide called aminopterin that is illegal in the U.S. and was on wheat that was imported from China by Menu Foods. The company used the tainted wheat in over 100 brands of pet food.
I've already commented on how scary this is for humans as well as pets. I can only hope this will speed up peoples' re-thinking of global trade and manufactured foods, especially when it comes to the food they eat everyday.
Betty, Bimbo, and Cocoa send their condolences to all the pets and people who have been affected by this act of gross irresponsibility.