Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Can You Hear Me Now?

Having lived in the Washington D.C. area for more than half my life, I have grown accustomed to seeing signs of political protest which include: chalk drawings and commentary inscribed on the pavement and walls, rally posters, human blockades, mentally ill conspiracy theorists attempting to bum-rush federal buildings; or simply make a mad dash across the White House lawn, and herds of marching anti everyone and everything from A to Z demonstrators looking to focus policy makers' attention to their cause.

Yup, the nation's capitol is the staging area where people come from far and near to voice their opinions. Ironically, much of the effort put into trying to be seen and heard is largely ignored by both local residents (me) and politicians alike - but for the annoyance of having to figure out how to get over, under, around or through mobs of people, who have something to say, on our way to work or play. But en route home the other day following a weekend of anti-war protests, I saw something that caught my attention. While scanning the ground, I noticed a pile of doggy-doo next to a trash receptacle mounted by two toothpick sized flags with a picture of George W. Bush. Now that's funny. A big statement in a little package, which I heard loud and clear.

No comments: