Tuesday, September 25, 2007

dealing with rude people

(From the annals of miss manners.)

Dear Miss Manners,

Lately, I have come under great stress at work. I extended an invitation to a speaker that most of my colleagues profoundly dislike. He has in the past shown a very authoritarian streak. He relishes in insulting our bosses. He is avowedly a thug, not that different from the people who run this country. The national media hates him, but isn't it precisely the greatest type of publicity a liberal institution like mine wants?
I've started getting all sorts of nasty emails and some of my bosses and friends got upset and started calling me up to find out why I did this. Now the whole world knows about this affair and I can't dis-invite him without making a fool of myself.
Ms Manners, what would you do in my position?

University President in Distress


Gentle Reader,

Just go ahead with the talk and introduce him as a petty dictator.

Manners

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo, V. and M.M.!

The blog needs more literary stylings! As to the people out there, who knows what they need.

P.S. We don't have homosexuals in this country either. That's why you may never ever mention Dick Cheney's daughter, ever.

Anonymous said...

I say it's always best to let people hoist themselves on their own petard

Montserrat Nicolás said...

TOT off topic but hey!, I'm outraged!

No invitations? No nothing for the wedding???????????

venus (en el pudridero) said...

what wedding?? fuji and bolocco?